Do you need more cabinet space in your kitchen? Are you tired of fishing around for that certain pot in your kitchen cupboards? A hanging or wall mounted pot rack might just be the storage space and convenient solution you need.
Where Did Pot Racks Come From?
You may wonder about the origins of pot racks and might even think that these handy storage devices are a recent discovery for saving much needed kitchen space. Pot racks actually date back before the 15th century in the poorer family homes of Europe. In contrast to the wealthy European homes with spacious kitchens with seperate rooms, the kitchens of the poorer homes were a lot smaller. In these less spacious kitchens, earlier pot racks either had hooks hanging from the wall or ceiling or in the from of a tripod; which stood on the kitchen dirt floor. Today, pot racks come in many styles and sizes and are seen in kitchen’s of all sizes.
How Do I Choose A Pot Rack For My Kitchen?
There are several things to consider when choosing a pot rack for your kitchen.
* This first thing to consider is where you want your rack to be. For example, a pot rack that hangs from the ceiling is a good choice if you are going to put it on top of a kitchen island. A wall-mounted shelf type variety with a grid is a great choice if you are going to put it against the kitchen wall.
* Be sure to know the height of your ceiling if you choose a hanging pot rack. Most hanging pot racks that are available on the market are for ceilings that measure 8 or 9 feet. This gives cooks of average height easy access to their pans and utensils. However, a wide range of extension hoods or chains are available for shorter cooks or taller ceilings.
* Be sure to consider the decor of your kitchen. Stainless steel pot racks are excellent choices for modern style kitchens with stainless steel countertops, cook tops, ovens and dishwashers. Black hammered steel pot racks work very well with country cottage style kitchens with oak timber cabinets. Along with the decor of your kitchen, consider what you want your pot rack to look like.
* You may also want to consider what kind of material that you want your pot rack to be made of. Pot racks come in a variety of materials such as stainless steel, hammered steel and even wooden ones made of oak and cherry.
* Not only do pot racks come in a variety of materials, they also come in a variety of shapes and sizes. With this in mind, choosing the size and shape of your rack depends on the kitchen space you have available as well as the number of pots, pans and other cooking utensils that you want to fit in it.
* Is additional light needed? If you are planning to place your pot rack above a cooking or working area, a rack with down lights is a good choice for you. These pot racks will help illuminate your working area as well as adding ambience to your space.
* It is also important to consider how much you are willing to spend on your new pot rack. Are you planning to invest in a high end one that is used by professional chefs? Are you on a budget and want to get a quality one without spending a fortune? Many are available to fit every budget.
With a little planning and research, you can acquire the perfect pot rack for your kitchen. Not only will it be a convenient way to add space to your kitchen, it will also add a little something extra to your decor.
Find More Stainless Steel Fishing Hooks Articles