Fishing done either for recreation (as a part of one’s hobby or pastime) or done for a source of living requires the right kind of tool to make profit out of it. Judging by stone inscriptions, fishing rods go back to ancient Egypt, China, Greece and Rome.
Prior to widespread availability of synthetic materials, such as fiberglass and graphite composites, fishing rods were typically made from split Tonkin bamboo. A fishing rod or a fishing pole is a tool used to catch fish, usually in conjunction with the sport of angling. (Sustenance and commercial fishing usually involves nets).
A length of fishing line is attached to a long, flexible rod or pole: one end terminates in a hook for catching the fish.
Types of fishing rods :
1) Carbon fibre pole : These high-tech poles are commonly used for coarse fishing in Europe, they are made using a variety of different qualities of carbon fibre which is reflected in the price, the prices range from about GBP 100 to GBP 5,000.
Although cheaper models can be purchased from local tackle dealers for about GBP 50. Varying in length from 5 meters through to the longest at about 18.5 meters, they allow very precise positioning of the bait.
2) Fly rods : Fly Fishing rods are long, thin, flexible fishing rods designed to cast a fly usually consisting of a hook tied with fur, feathers, foam, or other lightweight material.
Originally made of split bamboo, most modern fly rods are constructed from man-made composite materials, including fiberglass, carbon/graphite, or graphite/boron composites.
3) Ultra-light rods : These rods are used to fish for smaller species, they provide more sport with larger fish, or to enable fishing with lighter line and smaller lures.
4) Ice Fishing rods : These are typically very short spinning rods, varying between 24 and 36 inches in length, used to fish through holes in the cover ice of frozen lakes, rivers and ponds.
Rod specifications :
1) Power : Also known as “power value” or “rod weight.” Rods may be classified as Ultra-Light, Light, Medium-Light, Medium, Medium-Heavy, Heavy, Ultra-Heavy, or other similar combinations. Power is often an indicator of what types of fishing, species of fish, or size of fish a particular pole may be best used for.
Ultra-light rods are suitable for catching small bait fish and also pan fish, or situations where rod responsiveness is critical. Ultra-Heavy rods are used in deep sea fishing, surf fishing, or for heavy fish by weight.
2) Action : “Action” refers to the responsiveness of the rod to bending force, and the speed with which the rod returns to its neutral position. An action may be slow, medium, fast, or a combination (e.g. medium-fast.) Fast Action rods flex most in the tip section. Slow rods flex more towards the butt of the rod.
Hence keeping in mind the types of fishing rods available in the market along with their various specifications one has to be really careful before placing an order for a fishing pole.
The easiest way of selecting a fishing rod for oneself is to know first the type of fish that one would be fishing so that he can easily eliminate the other varieties and select the one that suits his choice of fish the best.
Download Abhishek’s FREE Fishing Report “How To Plan And Budget The Fishing Trip Of Your Dreams!”
and learn some amazing Fishing tips and tricks – And save a lot of your time, money and effort!Click here to visit www.Fishing-Masters.com